Angels, Demons & Spiritual Warfare
Do angels and demons really exist? The Bible says they do. Mentioned by name are two elect holy angels (the good guys): The Archangel Michael (Daniel 10:13) and Gabriel who carried messages (Daniel 8:16). Scripture also mentions the Angel of the Lord; the Captain of the Host of the Lord; messengers; and guardian angels.
The Bible tells the story of fallen angels (the bad guys). Lucifer, one of God’s highest angels, led a revolt against God (Isaiah 14:12-14) and was banished from Heaven along with angels who took his side. Some scholars believe that as many as one third of the angels rebelled against God.
Lucifer is known by many different names that have various meanings. For example: Satan (Mark 1:13); Devil (1 John 3:8); Abaddon (Proverbs 27:20); Evil One (John 17:15); Power of Darkness (Colossians 1:13, 14); Belial (2 Corinthians 6:15); Beelzebul (Matthew 10:25); Serpent of Old (Revelation 12:9); and Tempter (Matthew 4:3).
Fallen angels are most commonly called demons. Demons are powerful spirits that can causes all sorts of afflictions. Read what these odious creatures can do to humans here.
- Jesus drove demons out of people who were demon possessed (Matthew 8:28) so we know demons exist. “You deaf and mute spirit,” Jesus said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.” It would be a little ridiculous for Jesus to talk to demons if they didn’t exist. Clearly they can possess and control the unsaved. (Mat. 8:28-34)
- Satan is the “god of this world.” (2 Cor. 4:4)
- Principalities and powers (demons) are under the power of Satan. (Mat. 12:24)
- Demons can cause sickness (Mat. 12:22); insanity (Luke 8:26-36); bodily injury (Mark 9:14-26); long term infirmities (Luke 13:11-13).
- Holy angels are incapable of going against God, whereas unholy angels continuously go against God in their quest to lead people astray.
- Satan and his demons have been given certain powers, but as Bible teacher John MacArthur points out, “Satan is a servant of God and can only work within the perimeters that God defines…”
- Jesus gave the apostles the authority to cast out demons. (Mark 16:17, 18; Luke 10:17; Acts 5:16; 8:7; 16:16-18; 19:12)
- Satan and his demons may win many battles but in the end they will lose the war. “…we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:37-39)
- Angels and demons are personal spiritual beings. (Heb. 1:14)
- Since they have no physical limitations they’re not bound by the laws of physics.
- They possess intellect (Mat. 8:29, 2 Cor. 11:3), emotions (James 2:19, Rev. 12:17), and will (Luke 8:28-31, 2 Tim. 2:26).
People who contact angels (or a spirit guide) are actually contacting demons. Demons can and do possess unbelievers but they’re not given the authority to possess believers. The reason is obvious: the moment of regeneration the Holy Spirit takes up residence in the believer – and He never leaves. Listen to the words of Jesus:
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. (John 14:16-17)
An Angel You Ought to Know By Loren Jacobs
Angelology The Doctrine of Angels By J. Hampton Keathley
Angels Among Us By Ron Rhodes
Are all angels safe? By Marsha West
Beware of Angels from the Dark Side By Marsha West
Conversations With the Counterfeit By Craig Branch
Dominionists Are on the Move…and they Mean Business By Marsha West
Ephesians 6:12, Where is the struggle, in prayer By Matt Slick
Gladiator-style takedown of demonic forces, Part 1 Part 2 By Marsha West
Holy Angles–The nine orders of angels
The “Script” Underlying Spiritual Warfare Christianity By Orrel Sreinkamp
Spiritual Warfare: Fighting to Win By John MacArthur
Visions, dreams and revelations: demon possession or genuine prophetic fits By Elizabeth Prata
What do you think about all this Satan stuff? By Marsha West
Why We Should Not Fear Satan and Demons By John MacArthur
Touched by an Angel: But Which Kind? By Berit Kjos
Unbiblical Ideas About Angels By Marsha West
What does Kabbalah teach about Angels By Matt Slick
Carnal Weapons: Binding & Rebuking – Spiritual Warfare Justin Peters & Jim Osman
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:
- For he shall give his angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways. — 1 Psalms 11
- Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. — 13 Hebrews 2
For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 8 Romans 38-39